Saturday, May 8, 2010

How Technology is Changing School

Curtis Bonk's article "How Technology is Changing School" offers readers concrete proof that the digital age is upon us. Throughout the article, Bonk explains that technology related to school program delivery once reserved to deal with catastrophes such as Hurricane Katrina, or health emergencies such as SARS or the H1N1 virus are being used to service students all over the globe. As time passes, more and more students and teachers alike are choosing to take their courses online in order complete their required course work. This allows students who live in rural areas who may have limited access to programs of their choice to pursue their interests and graduate with a degree that only a few years earlier probably would not have been made available to them.



I am a strong proponent of the online learning forum. Throughout my university career I worked full-time and found it increasing difficult to manage work and school. Unfortunately online learning was not an option for me at the time, so therefore I was forced to juggle work and school. Upon the completion of my teaching degree I decided to try online learning for the first time. I took an online AQ course through the Faculty of Education at Queen's University and I was hooked. I was able to study at my own pace, meet my colleagues for online discussions of course materials, and submit assignments without ever having to leave the comfort of my home. For the first time in my life I didn't have to worry about juggling full-time employment commitments and in-class commitments. Since this time I have had the opportunity to take many more online courses which I have really enjoyed.

I am very thankful that I have the opportunity to learn online and definitely feel that more programs to facilitate this in the elementary and secondary spectrum should be made readily available to students. Online learning forums are not only for musicians, dancers and professional athletes; they are for those interested in learning and growing intellectually in a flexible environment that suits their learning needs.



Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment